In honor of National Gluten Free Day coming up, we wanted to bring you a fun and nostalgic Gluten Free twist on one of your childhood favorites. These Gluten Free Elderberry Fig Newton bars are an elevated and healthier version of the classic snack. Prep them ahead of time to use for breakfasts, school lunches or a midday snack.
Gluten Free Elderberry Fig Newton Recipe Inspired by The Fit Peach
- 4 Tbsp butter (we used vegan)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup cassava flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ JEM Organics Elderberry Cashew Almond Butter
- 1 cup figs
- 2 Tbsp lemon Juice
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- In a mixer combine butter and coconut sugar until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well
- Combine almond flour, cassava flour, baking soda and salt
- Slowly combine with the butter mixture until a dough forms. Do not over mix. Wrap the dough in saran wrap and put in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Add the figs to a saucepan with the lemon juice and honey. Heat over medium until the fruit begins to soften. Add JEM Organics Elderberry Cashew Almond Butter, mix and remove from heat.
- Blend or food process the mixture until you have a jam-like consistency.
- Slip the dough in two and roll one half out on parchment paper to be about ½ inch thick. Form a rectangle and cut away rough edges.
- Spoon half of the mixture onto the dough just left of the center. Using the parchment paper to help you roll the left side of the dough over the mixture. Do this again with the right side. And press the ends down to seal it.
- Cut this into four even squares.
- Put on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Repeat with the other half of the dough and enjoy!