Hazelnut is exotic, it's sweet and it's the perfect nutty addition to the classic chocolate cupcake. These delicate vegan cupcakes are soft, rich and good for any occasion! They also make very cute Halloween cupcakes for friends and family.
Death by Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes: Inspired by The Cook & Him (@thecookandhim)
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅔ cup JEM Organics Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- 1¼ cups vegan butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Optional - food coloring paste and candy eyes
- Preheat your oven to 400 F and line muffin tin with muffin cases
- Peel the bananas and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or a potato masher. Then add the almond milk, vinegar and vanilla. Whisk together.
- Add the flour, sugar, cacao powder, baking powder and bicarb and whisk until well mixed and then add JEM Organics Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- Evenly spoon the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes. A toothpick tester should come out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before lifting out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While they're cooling, make the frosting by whisking the icing sugar and vegan butter together. Note: If you're doing more than one color, mix the dairy free spread with the icing sugar in one batch, then divide the mixture into separate bowls for however many colors you're using!
- Add the orange food coloring to the frosting, mix and put back in the fridge until ready to use.
- When the cupcakes are completely cold spoon the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe swirls on top of each cupcake.
- Add the googly candy eyes when done and marvel at your witchy skills.