The Best Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups heavy cream, preferably organic and not ultra-pasteurized
- 2 cups half-and-half, preferably organic, or 1 cup additional heavy cream plus 1 cup whole milk
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out with the tip of a sharp knife, or 3 tablespoons (about 8 bags) loose Earl Grey tea plus 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar or 3/4 cup light corn syrup, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- In a saucepan or a microwave-safe container, combine cream, half-and-half and vanilla bean and seeds (or tea and vanilla extract). On the stove or in the microwave, bring mixture to a simmer. Immediately turn off heat.
- Add sugar or corn syrup and salt and mix until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Taste and add more sugar and salt as needed to balance the flavors. The mixture should taste slightly too sweet when warm; the sweetness will be muted when the ice cream is frozen.
- Strain mixture into a container and refrigerate until very cold, at least 4 hours and preferably overnight.
- Churn mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and let freeze until hard.
- Drizzle your favorite flavor of Jem!
Recipe from the N.Y. Times.
RECIPES/1017613-EASIEST- VANILLA-ICE-CREAM?REGI=1&JOIN_ COOKING_NEWSLETTER=TRUE& REGISTER=GOOGLE